You guys are not gonna believe this

View previous topic View next topic Go down

You guys are not gonna believe this

Post  jpierce575 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 am

but my insurance company is trying to screw me over on the settlement for my bike.

They decided it is totaled, I agree with that, but I pay for coverage for additional aftermarket upgrades that have been installed, up to $4000. They are wanting to give me total $4200, including the aftermarket items. They are dinging me $1100 for mileage, said it should not have more than 21500 miles on an 8 year old bike. They broke the items down as far as what they allow per item. Full Fairing---$50, I have almost $1000 invested in it. Hard saddlebags---$200, for both, these particular bags cost nearly $700 each to replace.

I did some quick figuring, it will cost me around $8200 to replace and rebuild that same bike, and they want to give me half of that. I realize that I will not get the entire $8200 back due to depreciated value, but why can't they at least be realistic? They will not use KBB.com or NADA.com book values but instead use a private company that bases the value of the bike off of craigslist ads. I feel they are pretty close on the bike value, except for the mileage deduction, but are way off on the aftermarket stuff. Evidently they do not buy quality aftermarket items when they rebuild motorcycles.

I just find it appalling that this is MY OWN insurer doing this to me!

Back to top Go down

Re: You guys are not gonna believe this

Post  Fred on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:32 am

Don't sign anything and go over the head of whomever you are are talking to. They should have customer advocates.

What insurance company?

Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 am

It is Allstate. They sold me the extra insurance with the pretense that everything would be replaced just as it was. Now they are saying that they pay a fair market value for the extras. I have not and will not sign anything until I am happy with what they give me. They have issued 2 checks for the tow bill and replacement gear that was destroyed, but both of them just say "for loss occurred on 5/31/12" and do not specify what part of the loss. These checks will not be cashed until I am happy also.

Now they have called back with another offer. $4575 plus sales tax, etc. Total settlement $4924.50. They are telling me now my only other choice is to have the bike appraised by them and an appraiser of my choice, then they will determine the real value. I am thinking I might need to get my agent involved and maybe I can get some better results.

Last edited by jpierce575 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:36 pm

jpierce575 wrote:It is Allstate. They sold me the extra insurance with the pretense that everything would be replaced just as it was. Now they are saying that they pay a fair market value for the extras. I have not and will not sign anything until I am happy with what they give me. They have issued 2 checks for the tow bill and replacement gear that was destroyed, but both of them just say "for loss occurred on 5/31/12" and do not specify what part of the loss. These checks will not be cashed until I am happy also.

Now they have called back with another offer. $4575 plus sales tax, etc. Total settlement $4924.50. They are telling me now my only other choice is to have the bike appraised by them and an appraiser of my choice, then they will determine the real value. I am thinking I might need to get my agent involved and maybe I can get some better results.

Jamie - get your agent to handle it - I have ALLSTATE and they were great when I wrecked my X. I do EVERYTHING through my agent. They are in Cleveland 200 miles away but they know my voice when I call their office.

Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  jefff1 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:54 pm

thumbup Listen to Fred on this one Jamie...you must be happy before signing anything....Good luck

jefff1
Group Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:08 pm

I am gonna take all the receipts and everything I have referring to replacing the parts to my agent in the morning. She told me in the beginning to let her help if they would not cooperate.

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:06 pm

I talked to my agent today, she agrees that they are undervaluing everything. I am letting her handle it from here on out. The adjuster told me I had to get someone to appraise my bike and they would do the same and the appraisers would determine the true value. I had my local dealer appraise it and he sent his info to them. He valued it at $7485.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:51 pm

jpierce575 wrote:I talked to my agent today, she agrees that they are undervaluing everything. I am letting her handle it from here on out. The adjuster told me I had to get someone to appraise my bike and they would do the same and the appraisers would determine the true value. I had my local dealer appraise it and he sent his info to them. He valued it at $7485.

Have them quote to repair so you have something to compare totalling it out to.

I say this because in my wreck - minor - scratched pipes, trashed Mutazu hard bags, crash bars, highway pegs and one mirror, ALLSTATES adjuster valued the damage at $2200 after consulting with my dealer. The dealer replaced everything except substituted soft bags for the Mutazus for $1000 and I put $1200 in the bank and used it as a down payment for my divorce.

Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Glad your agent is taking care of you Jamie, hard to believe you pay the premiums
that keep them in business and they screw you over like that! Shocked

redgw Candy Red 2012 Goldwing
Michelin Alpin ZP 195/55/16 - The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang!
Doc
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 pm

Allstate quoted to repair and it came up around $5500. They decided based on that to total it. The dealer basically quoted to buy a bike that same model and year and build it as he could to what I had. That estimate was $8350. He also quoted the other figure stating that is what he would sell that exact bike for. I am hoping that those figures are good enough for them to offer me a decent amount. I understand I am not going to get the entire amount back, but at least they can offer me some compensation for the stuff I bought and installed.

On another note, what do you all think of another VTX. He showed me a 2005 1800 N loaded with almost all of the same things I had on mine. He said it only had 2500 miles on it. When I am ready to buy another one, I will definitely look at it harder if he still has it. I don't remember the price he had on it, but it didn't sound too bad to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Len on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 am

jpierce575 wrote:Allstate quoted to repair and it came up around $5500. They decided based on that to total it. The dealer basically quoted to buy a bike that same model and year and build it as he could to what I had. That estimate was $8350. He also quoted the other figure stating that is what he would sell that exact bike for. I am hoping that those figures are good enough for them to offer me a decent amount. I understand I am not going to get the entire amount back, but at least they can offer me some compensation for the stuff I bought and installed.

On another note, what do you all think of another VTX. He showed me a 2005 1800 N loaded with almost all of the same things I had on mine. He said it only had 2500 miles on it. When I am ready to buy another one, I will definitely look at it harder if he still has it. I don't remember the price he had on it, but it didn't sound too bad to me.

Harley makes a nice bike ... just sayin' ... grn

Glad things are starting to work out ... now you can concentrate on healing. Wink
Len
Group Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:11 am

Wing it

Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am

The N is a nice model, I always liked them. 59

Doc
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:08 pm

I was wanting to buy either an Electra Glide Ultra Classic or a Wing, but they are both a little too expensive right now. So...... since he showed me the N, I am considering it, but it will still be a while before I buy something anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post  actionpack on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:23 pm

hope you can get them to pay you like there suppose to with out any hassles , they sure make themself look proud on there tv ads , but they always seem to have some b.s. fine print they want to show you later , good luck with the healing and hooking up with a new ride when its time

actionpack
Group Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  fcsnuffy on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 pm

jamie, not trying to step on any toes here but if you buy a wing ya gotta have an extra large check book to cover all the stops at dq. if you decide on a ultra classic you might slip in the oil puddle and re hurt your ribs, so you better think long and hard on that one.

by the way the n is by far the coolest vtx and any of the other two would make you a fine bike.
fcsnuffy
Group Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:41 pm

When I am ready, if he still has it, I am seriously considering trading the white VTX for the 1800 N. The bad part about that, I will be going to a model two years older than the one I am trading in.

I really doubt he will still have it anyway because I don't think I will be ready for at least 3 more weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 am

They have my wrecked bike listed on the auction site.

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e1s1&lotId=21134342&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

If anyone wants to look at it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 am

If the forks are OK, you should buy it back Jamie.
I've got a tank, fenders, and airbox for it. What else does it need? grn

Doc
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:05 pm

I really don't want it back. It was nice to get rid of the wobble problem it always had. grn

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:21 am

jpierce575 wrote:I really don't want it back. It was nice to get rid of the wobble problem it always had. grn

On to bigger and better things!

Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  jefff1 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 am

Very Happy Well said in the last 2 posts...I would be rid of a demon bike like that too...I did rebuild my Tiger when I totalled it with a big mommy bambi but it was a great bike before the incident and has been even better since...

jefff1
Group Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top